Salsa, Further Adventures
in Afro-Cuban Music for Piano
Montunos are written starting from the root, third and fifth chord tone. They are always in 2/3 and 3/2 clave. Different chord progressions are explored and also “Son Montuno” patterns.
The first section of the book presents rhythmic exercises against the 2/3 and 3/2 clave.
The second section presents Montuno patterns which are written as montuno style (for ensemble playing) and montuno and tumbao style (for solo playing).
The third section of the book presents two full score large ensemble arrangements and two rhythm section arrangements. The piano parts are written out separately.
The fourth section of this book goes over percussion and rhythm section patterns.
- Rhythmic Exercises against the Clave
- Montunos I-II-V7-I (from the root, third and fifth)
- Montunos I-IV-V7-I (from the root, third and fifth)
- Montunos I-IV-V-IV (from the root, third and fifth)
- Montunos I-IV-V-IV-V-IV-I-IV (from the root, third and fifth)
- “Compañera” (Full score and piano part)
- “Santa Fe” (Full score and piano part)
- “Moliendo Café” (Rhythm Section score and piano part)
- “La Negra Tomasa” (Rhythm Section score and piano part)
- Percussion patterns
- Rhythm Section patterns
Much care has been taken in the recording of each example, please listen to the audio demos below. An accompanying CD/MP3 features selected examples of piano and rhythm tracks and also bass and percussion tracks for solo practice. Some "percussion only tracks" in different tempos have also been included.
The complete MIDI library featuring every example in the book is available separately as a digital download from the Digital Store.
All purchases are done through our SSL secure server and Gumroad.
Please click on the book cover below to purchase.
Your transaction is securely processed via Gumroad.
You will receive an email with your purchase receipt and download links as soon as your order is processed.
All digital download sales are final.
Digital download products can not be returned or exchanged for another product.